Why?....
The disparity..the belittlement...of a community that shapes our lives? I am talking about our teachers....as time has passed by...somehow, i seem to have lesser and lesser respect towards my teachers..but why so? Why did I develop such a feeling? When I think back...there are a couple of teachers who really inspired me and still do...both of us being unawares of the same! Of course, in undergrad, the quality also diminished tremendously...but I remember that even before I entered the first class, I already had a set notion that these people werent qualified enough to get placed in the industry..and hence...they are of "poor quality"..how arrogant could I get!!!! Each individual has choices to make..and they chose to teach!
This is beside the point that I am trying to make right now....why I chose this for my post is that my teacher from school, who taught me physical education for 10 years and also in the process trained and identified a dozen national level athletes quit his job this month. He visited me last night and broke this news...I was shocked, to say the least...I simply COULD NOT imagine school without him...he was, if not the most, a crucial factor to define my character and the person who I am today. If it werent for him, I would never have achieved half the things that fill my CV today..and he was leaving school!!!!! He loved the job...he had an eye to spot talent and was extremely passionate about his job...why...WHY did he have to quit? I nearly broke down when he told me this....so eventually I HAD to pose the question to him....and his reply broke my heart - "Lefty, I had no financial security in this job...I had to think of Blossom and Kevin (his kids) and my future as well...more over, the students had stopped respecting me for the work that I did..and the school authorities also didnt give sports any attention now"...WHAT THE!!!!! When he added that his students (now in their twenties) distributed house warming cards or brought him gifts from overseas, he was disturbed that even after working for nearly 20 years, he still couldnt dream of these luxuries. He actually said that he felt helpless and perturbed that he had remained blind to this fact for all these years...
"but master.....you loved this job...you cannot do this to yourself...to all the students who need you"..."who cares about teachers now lefty? We are the least paid professionals..and least respected as well. I even considered the possibility of going abroad where teachers are respected..but I felt that I was needed here..now when that opportunity is shut...I had to take a decision....it isnt like I am envious of all your success, but it was an eye opener for me to support my children to lead such a life..being a govt teacher, it would have never been possible. I have spent sleepless nights musing over this..and this was the hardest decision that I have ever taken". Sigh...what can I say...why the hell does our education system suck so much? With all the reservations, changing exam patterns and stinking pay scales of govt teachers, I am extremely apprehensive of the quality of youth over the next 20 years! The govt is just interested in filling up vacancies in various teaching positions, be it through nepotism, reservation or simple "payments". With low pay scales, obviously the qualified individuals would never choose to lead a life of penury and disappointment...even if they were passionate about teaching, most of them would prefer travelling to the US/UK univs and impart their knowledge with much better infrastructure and relatively decent packages. In order to gain more information about this topic, I came across this rather interesting article regarding the state of corruption in education http://www.educationworldonline.net/eduworld/article.php?choice=prev_art&article_id=370&issueid=30. This repulsed me even further!!
But as a society, there needs to be an awareness created amongst the public to take up the initiative and offer different solutions to this problem plaguing our mindsets...either financial solutions or radical emotional awareness. The time has passed when the govt can take a rational path...frankly, I would be very apprehensive if the ball falls into their court once more...actually, they should be disallowed from playing in this match altogether!!!! Until I find a reasonable explanation to this, I simply cannot get over the fact that amongst all the careers I dreamt to take up, teaching never crossed my mind (even when I was told that I instructed very well) and always took up my teachers' presence for granted. Even though my mom is a teacher, she was never the "bread-winner" at home, so for me, this profession was something people took up to do if they had the time and inclination to make better use of the same.
But Master Robert...thank you for all that you did...I cannot begin to describe the influence you have had on me...you have been one of the very few people I have looked upto...good luck in anythingyou do..and I will pray for you...but until I find an answer...I continue to wonder why......

3 Comments:
To a society that has grown over centuries by chanting "Shree Gurubhyo namah" at the start of most ceremonies and Shlokas without understanding the undelying meaning, what else is to be expected, huh?? It is really sad that Master Robert quit school. He was the best Sports master I ever had.. Never felt at soo much ease with anybody else. Ughh! Man proposes, God disposes yet again... My own Aunts have taken either of the paths u have mentioned, one gone abroad to teach while another has stuck here for over 25 yrs to teach lower primary inspite of promising and higher scales in rival schools.. Unless the Govt is run by educated altruistic men and women, the Govt wont realise the advantage of quality education and thereby devoted teachers. It is run by a bunch of idiots who believe that with education their vote shares shall reduce and hence no reforms in educational systems have been refused.
Tch...Tch...moving! Ever thought of doctors...much the same...! Look at any person working in a rural area....such wanton neglect of quality human resources in the places where they matter most!!
Hm....m...sigh...shh....phfst....
hey!
i found ur link on ur orkut profile... it has kept me lively thru a very dull afternoon
cheers,
jyothi
Post a Comment
<< Home