Oh, bugger!
I never seem to learn from my mistakes: the week when I am pretty much loaded with work, I hop along and watch a movie that leaves this permanent smirk on my face, while I walk around re-enacting my favourite scenes- of course, I now appear like I am high on a 'bottle o' rum' ! Yup..caught POTC-Dead man's chest last evening...and I must confess, I liked it much much much more than the first one! Take the curse of the black pearl, add a dash of 20,000 leagues under the sea and shiploads of rum, voila, we have an outstanding masterpiece of Disney's that is by far the best movie I have seen this year!
It is odd, I presumed that I was all of 23 years and would no longer find myself in a pool of my own drool, while I slobbered at gorgeous hunks, but no! I was gravely mistaken! Johnny Depp is the best remedy for women of all ages, suffering from any problem-fatal or otherwise! I simply cannot fathom the fate of this movie, if
a) an orthodox englishman would have been cast as Capt.Jack Sparrow
b) the director had stuck to the authentic description of Capt.Jack Sparrow
c) Johnny Depp had NOT been in it!
The drunken swagger, the rolling of words while he speaks, his comic timing, his cheekbones-sigh-ok, I wont go on and on and on about him, but due credit has to be given to him for carrying the movie-regretably-solely on his shoulders many a time in the movie. The film is pretty long- as per hollywood stds- but the action is so captivating and also so original, that I didnt feel the time pass by. Of course, with butter popcorn and french vanilla ice cream being gorged by the bucketful, I would have had no reason to complain :) My honeymoon period is nowhere close to complete! I have rummaged through various sites and finally uncovered couple of my favourite lines in the movie: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0383574/quotes. While I was reading the dialogues once again, I realised that this movie has done more justice to the characters-and I dont mean the protagonists- with various shades thrown in. They are more entertaining and seem to fit in more easily in the soryline. Of course, the last 20 seconds just drove me insane, I couldnt imagine POTC without Geoffrey Rush!
But, personally, I think it is time Hollywood reinvented and extricated itself from the comic strips to more engaging and meaningful cinema. Honestly, I think I have had my share of superheroes and state-of-the-art visual effects with no storyline scenes. I dont remember the last meaningful movie I saw this year produced by the LA folks, and frankly, that is rather depressing. With all the money and power they possess, they have all the liberty to go ahead and speak their minds. Adaptations from books and comic strips is getting to be a trifle run-of-the-mill type.
All in all, this was a terrific movie-unlike the Star Wars series- which is very well placed for the grand finale and I am thrilled knowing that my wait for the final episode wont be too long!

2 Comments:
why the "-who" in ur link?
Keira Knightly wasnt bad too!! :-D
Post a Comment
<< Home