Casino Ro-yale!
I have returned back to my humble abode of the Hilton, humbled and ok, ashamed...because I too got enamoured with the ka-ching there was on display...where, you ask? In Asia's only legal casino where millions lose billions of dollars, where people have made permanent homes in the in-house hotel, where people have lost track of time and life with the glamour and hope there is on offer- Genting Highlands!
I entered these highlands that are perched prettily on top of a hill overlooking glorious rainforests never knowing that I was being drawn-literally, in a cable car- to the worlds most addictive sport! I walked around for a bit, played a few games, hung around in malls, and then made my way to the indoor theme park's biggest attraction- THE STARWORLD CASINO! After showing my id, I made my way into a golden enclave...really, it is gold everywhere...glittering chandeliers, golden carpets, golden walls.. the whole place reeks of wealth! The first thing that hit me though was the average age of the players of the casino- I wont be overestimating it, if I say that it might have been 60...and most of them women! They had occupied every single gaming machine, with such intense concentration written all over their faces that it was quite hilarious..so I wandered around, consumed in my thoughts of how mindless these games were..and what is so attractive to these people that they have made it their second home- I saw a man smoking packets of Dunhill, never budging from his chair, betting thousands of RM only on one combination of 'tai dais'- 3 dice- 346 which, unfortunately for him, never rolled out; I really hope he passed out or got some sense knocked into him before he went broke!
Then.., then I made my way to a French Roulette table...ok, what can be so harmless in this? After observing the numbers on the table, I saw that a safe bet would be to start betting on the most common number on the ring- and that was 1. So, I placed the min (buggers have min requirements everywhere, so I had to reluctantly put back my 5 RM note!) 10RM note on the table and prayed for Goddess Lakshmi to take special note of me....and guess what, my prayers WERE answered....for 4 different bets...Now I grew confident, and made my way to the tai dais...right next to the drugged Chinese millionaire..and placed 50 RM confidently on the min 12 mark....as luck would have it, the dice rolled out a 112- that makes it a 4...so YAY, I made a 100RM in just one bet...wow, the feeling was great! Now, if I had followed common sense- which, I am sorry, seemed to have lost its way in the din!- I would have stomped back to the counter, encashed my coins and treated myself to a sundae or another wall climbing round...but NO, the crazy millionaire and all the Chinese Shrews had cast their spells on me...I wanted more...I felt like I had beaten the system, all my probability and statistic lessons were thrown outta the window and I duly pictured myself returning to my room in a limo! Sigh...little did I know, that it was not to be...at the french Roulette, I placed my bets on the number 10- the blasted ball, unfortunately felt that it had done enough and more favours for me...and placed itself cozily bang opposite the ring, on number 33!!! That was it....my precious 100RM, was gone!! I was left 'ro'ing - crying for the hindi illiterate- in the casino!!! I had gone from 10RM to 110 and then was left with zero...so my total at the end of it all was -10!!!
Anyway, thank God for small mercies, I had booked a bus- YES, I had to return in a bus...my limo plans went down the drain- at 5:30 and so, with a rather shamefaced look collected my camera and returned back to Hilton....what a day, though...you know, in hindsight, even if I were given a second chance, I would go back there and bet all my 100RM on the number 10...this game of gambling is addictive..and boy, the high you get when you are winning...nothing compares to it....NOTHING!!!
I entered these highlands that are perched prettily on top of a hill overlooking glorious rainforests never knowing that I was being drawn-literally, in a cable car- to the worlds most addictive sport! I walked around for a bit, played a few games, hung around in malls, and then made my way to the indoor theme park's biggest attraction- THE STARWORLD CASINO! After showing my id, I made my way into a golden enclave...really, it is gold everywhere...glittering chandeliers, golden carpets, golden walls.. the whole place reeks of wealth! The first thing that hit me though was the average age of the players of the casino- I wont be overestimating it, if I say that it might have been 60...and most of them women! They had occupied every single gaming machine, with such intense concentration written all over their faces that it was quite hilarious..so I wandered around, consumed in my thoughts of how mindless these games were..and what is so attractive to these people that they have made it their second home- I saw a man smoking packets of Dunhill, never budging from his chair, betting thousands of RM only on one combination of 'tai dais'- 3 dice- 346 which, unfortunately for him, never rolled out; I really hope he passed out or got some sense knocked into him before he went broke!
Then.., then I made my way to a French Roulette table...ok, what can be so harmless in this? After observing the numbers on the table, I saw that a safe bet would be to start betting on the most common number on the ring- and that was 1. So, I placed the min (buggers have min requirements everywhere, so I had to reluctantly put back my 5 RM note!) 10RM note on the table and prayed for Goddess Lakshmi to take special note of me....and guess what, my prayers WERE answered....for 4 different bets...Now I grew confident, and made my way to the tai dais...right next to the drugged Chinese millionaire..and placed 50 RM confidently on the min 12 mark....as luck would have it, the dice rolled out a 112- that makes it a 4...so YAY, I made a 100RM in just one bet...wow, the feeling was great! Now, if I had followed common sense- which, I am sorry, seemed to have lost its way in the din!- I would have stomped back to the counter, encashed my coins and treated myself to a sundae or another wall climbing round...but NO, the crazy millionaire and all the Chinese Shrews had cast their spells on me...I wanted more...I felt like I had beaten the system, all my probability and statistic lessons were thrown outta the window and I duly pictured myself returning to my room in a limo! Sigh...little did I know, that it was not to be...at the french Roulette, I placed my bets on the number 10- the blasted ball, unfortunately felt that it had done enough and more favours for me...and placed itself cozily bang opposite the ring, on number 33!!! That was it....my precious 100RM, was gone!! I was left 'ro'ing - crying for the hindi illiterate- in the casino!!! I had gone from 10RM to 110 and then was left with zero...so my total at the end of it all was -10!!!
Anyway, thank God for small mercies, I had booked a bus- YES, I had to return in a bus...my limo plans went down the drain- at 5:30 and so, with a rather shamefaced look collected my camera and returned back to Hilton....what a day, though...you know, in hindsight, even if I were given a second chance, I would go back there and bet all my 100RM on the number 10...this game of gambling is addictive..and boy, the high you get when you are winning...nothing compares to it....NOTHING!!!

2 Comments:
ati aaasey gati kedu !! :P
"Addiction"... this can be a very small word for the regular players...But what I think is that one should take all the experiences in life... try out everything at least once..
Post a Comment
<< Home