Child's play????
I guess we are all aware of our "strengths" and "weaknesses" - atleast folks who have answered a dozen interviews would be very well versed with them..by rote, infact! Well, there are 2 weaknesses I can definitely point out about me - I cannot dance (ballroom bootcamp, anyone???) and secondly, I simply cannot...cannot handle humans below the age of 10(ok there goes my chance to meet my Cpt Vontrapp!!). Looking at some old snaps in our family album brought back a deluge of memories/emotions....especially baby trouble ones..(let me not go into the rather embarrassing dance "moves" that have been captured..not right now)
- My first memory of holding a new born child was that it suddenly felt like I was holding a baseball...I just wanted to see how far I could throw! -ok, being a field athlete also added fuel to the fire! It reinded me of the stupid blonde doll gifted to me that I had to rip apart to stop it from singing!!!
- Innumerable staring duels that I have shared with babies..I think I might have scarred a few for life. Mommies..incase you have ever travelled in route 276, and hopped out of the BTS with a wailing baby in your hands, my apologies..I really didnt mean to scare them..maybe once I am super rich I can fund their counseling sessions!
- Kids really know their minds..and like dogs, I think they can smell fear....they realise that there is a petrified female of their species supervising them, and seem to revel in all their mischief and/or tantrums...oooh, if only I had a nickel for every single kid that has brought me down to my knees!!!
- Why cant kids be treated normally, I mean..come on...I simply hate to share my Mr.Potato Head and Lego models with these kids....oh, also my stationery..nobody dares get anywhere close to them..but heck, no..kids always get the first pririoty to play with these rather personal toys..why cant they just be satisfied with a barbie thrown at them...play all that you want with it..infact, do me a favour and keep the doll, but dont you even think of getting close to my lego set or my volleyball!!
- Why must we always "let the kid win"?Well, its time these kids realised that nothing comes easy....and that everyone..irrespective of age/sex/size wants to win...some of us, rather badly!!!
- Something that I have never been able to solve is the fact that most girls go crazy around kids..I mean... the "oh..cho chweet"s.."hey..baby..cutie pie"s..."oh...look at that sweet little thing"s..."isnt he soooooo cutttteee"s ..UGHHHHH..spare me the sweet talk, are you planning to win the 2020 elections or what!!!
- How does one handle these kids anyway? If they are mischievous...Dr.Pete says...use mind games..my mom says-ground them, my granny-feed them (!!)...my dad(I agree with his parenting principle) says..just join the kid, it will stop misbehaving immediately(!)..nobody likes to hang out with the oldies..no sirreee!
It hasnt been too long since I have discovered that being adept at handling babies is an art...and-trust me when I say this- a blessing! One is simply born with it..period..no ifs..no buts attached to this! I think in my case, it might even run in the family....one incident that my mom will never forget...and frankly, I can see why:
Dad enters hospital room...new born child placed in his hands...looks at wife quite ruffled and says..."ok, now what do I do with this"!!! ...I rest my case.
- My first memory of holding a new born child was that it suddenly felt like I was holding a baseball...I just wanted to see how far I could throw! -ok, being a field athlete also added fuel to the fire! It reinded me of the stupid blonde doll gifted to me that I had to rip apart to stop it from singing!!!
- Innumerable staring duels that I have shared with babies..I think I might have scarred a few for life. Mommies..incase you have ever travelled in route 276, and hopped out of the BTS with a wailing baby in your hands, my apologies..I really didnt mean to scare them..maybe once I am super rich I can fund their counseling sessions!
- Kids really know their minds..and like dogs, I think they can smell fear....they realise that there is a petrified female of their species supervising them, and seem to revel in all their mischief and/or tantrums...oooh, if only I had a nickel for every single kid that has brought me down to my knees!!!
- Why cant kids be treated normally, I mean..come on...I simply hate to share my Mr.Potato Head and Lego models with these kids....oh, also my stationery..nobody dares get anywhere close to them..but heck, no..kids always get the first pririoty to play with these rather personal toys..why cant they just be satisfied with a barbie thrown at them...play all that you want with it..infact, do me a favour and keep the doll, but dont you even think of getting close to my lego set or my volleyball!!
- Why must we always "let the kid win"?Well, its time these kids realised that nothing comes easy....and that everyone..irrespective of age/sex/size wants to win...some of us, rather badly!!!
- Something that I have never been able to solve is the fact that most girls go crazy around kids..I mean... the "oh..cho chweet"s.."hey..baby..cutie pie"s..."oh...look at that sweet little thing"s..."isnt he soooooo cutttteee"s ..UGHHHHH..spare me the sweet talk, are you planning to win the 2020 elections or what!!!
- How does one handle these kids anyway? If they are mischievous...Dr.Pete says...use mind games..my mom says-ground them, my granny-feed them (!!)...my dad(I agree with his parenting principle) says..just join the kid, it will stop misbehaving immediately(!)..nobody likes to hang out with the oldies..no sirreee!
It hasnt been too long since I have discovered that being adept at handling babies is an art...and-trust me when I say this- a blessing! One is simply born with it..period..no ifs..no buts attached to this! I think in my case, it might even run in the family....one incident that my mom will never forget...and frankly, I can see why:
Dad enters hospital room...new born child placed in his hands...looks at wife quite ruffled and says..."ok, now what do I do with this"!!! ...I rest my case.
Labels: life is beautiful???

11 Comments:
I could'nt stop commenting on this one :), I liked the honesty in this post, but am really curious to read a follow up post on this one, may be 2 years from now.
I have seen so many girls with no idea about life live alone the mortal part the baby change.
oh..trust me..I would love a change in my stance..but it looks rather bleak :(
You're boring but you are cute.
Cannot take that comment sitting down!!! Please elaborate :x
its all child's play.. count on us to tell the same things to ur kids :P.. then we shall see ur reaction.. anyways i too have the same nightmares abt handling kids.. esp those below 3 yrs of age :P.. whoever said u r boring, doesnt know u yet :P.. ballroom dancing.. sounds like fun.. my 2 left feet have started twitching already
S
How about elaborating that over a cup of coffee?
Mal! this is one of the most hilarious posts I have read for some time now! Kudos!
Oye, dancing can be fun - should try it sometime dear (esp. after a few shots of tequila :-D).
About the kids, don't worry too much. Time will tell! :P
That makes You Mother Mary , now that it is not in the hands of men but in the hands of time.
In a nunnery baby boom is the machismo of time.Well , You could start your penance for the holy payasam in right earnest.The heroine of the post modernist myths.
i can't believe u thought of the kid as a baseball ;) Quite some sense of humor u've got girl .. Good post !
To your fans and the crazy metaphor guy - Thanks for breaking my flow here, you all.
But, hello?
Post a Comment
<< Home